The universal concern about the effects of mankind’s use and misuse of the environment which contributed greatly to great climatic changes has spurred a lot of people into action to encourage large developed countries into reducing their carbon footprints and other forms of environmentally harmful wastes. This call is directed to all companies that use fossil fuel to generate power for their businesses. Whether they produced their own power or bought it from power producers, the fact is that they used fossil fuel to run their businesses. Hosting companies are not exempted from this call and are encouraged to make their hosting companies Green Hosting companies.
Why is it called Green Hosting?
Hosting companies require a lot of power to run their business which in turn requires the power producers to generate more power to fill the need. The need to generate more power further increases the volume of carbon emissions. This basically means that the larger the hosting operation is, the more power is required to run and the more power requirement, the greater the carbon emissions and the more harmful to the environment.
A hosting service becomes a Green Hosting service if it uses a technology that is environmentally friendly to power their business. Environmentally friendly or eco-friendly technology are those that reduces, if not, totally eliminates carbon emissions and carbon footprints. This hosting companies use renewable energy, either wind power or solar power, to generate the much needed power requirements of their companies.
Other methods used to go green are:
- The use of carbon offsets. The use of carbon offsets is mandated for large corporations, those that use vast quantities of energy, but comes voluntary for smaller companies. This means that companies need to buy carbon offset to compensate for the ill effects of the greenhouse gases caused by their use of power to run their business. Funds raised are used to assist and maintain green power sources.
- By using and employing high-end energy saving equipment. The more efficient is the equipment, the less power is needed to run it which means less company power requirement.
- Making it a company policy to save power whenever possible such as powering off equipment when not in use or encouraging employees to telecommute. Telecommuting basically means that employees work from home, saving the company great power requirements plus giving the employees the advantage to choose their own time.
What are the benefits of Green Hosting?
Green hosting brings a lot of benefits, not just for the environment but for the company as well. Overall, the whole mankind are the beneficiaries of Green Hosting however, by doing its part in helping save the environment, the company gets to enjoy the following benefits:
- It gives the company a good, clean reputation which could translate to an increase in customers and clients. This boost in reputation as working to save the environment could even encourage clients to recommend the company over non-green hosting companies.
- Although you may need to spend much for the overhead cost, you get to save on power costs in the long run. Think about not paying for the monthly power bills while enjoying the full functionality of your business.
Is iPage Hosting a Green Company?
Yes, iPage Hosting is a Green Company. Aside from using wind energy for the Boston-based data centers with 800 servers, the company also uses energy saving devices and are buying environmental property rights through Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). This is like buying green energy to power their operations. They do this to compensate for the carbon footprint caused by their operation, no matter how low it may be.
As a Green Company, iPage clients also get to share the task of preventing further emissions of toxic carbon monoxide into the atmosphere.