Do a search on how to promote a website and you will certainly see an entry about SEO or Search Engine Optimization. SEO is a great tool for boosting your website’s popularity. The more well known a website is, the more traffic it will experience. Higher traffic can result to higher revenues if you own a business site. There are many ways to raise your search engine ranking. One of the more effective ways is to get listed in web directories. iPage offers directory listing as part of their service.
An Introduction to Directory Listing
iPage’s directory listing service entails getting your website and its URL entered into their directories. Additionally, your website gets categorized based on its contents. What this add-on service does is it makes search engines such as Bing, Yahoo, and Google, find you faster. The faster you get found, the higher your ranking gets, and the closer your website gets posted at the top of the search results list. This means more people will get to click on your website. So how exactly does it work? Let’s say you deal with scrapbooking. You will get listed under this category in a site directory. If a person searches for scrapbooking, a link for your website will be returned. For only $29.95 per year, you get this as well as these other benefits:
- Directs more traffic to the site
- Promotes your company or brand
- Increases your chance for higher revenue
- Provides your website higher visibility
Is the Directory Listing service a worthy investment?
If you are just starting out and your brand or website is still trying to “establish a name” for itself, it may be a good idea to invest in getting listed in directories. Of course, you still need to work hard in order to get other websites to post links directing to your site. This will be your normal links. Now, in order to catch the attention of search engines, you also need to have nofollow links. This often comes in the form of comments on blogs, forums, etc. Normally, websites containing numerous nofollow links are seen as link farms. This is where iPage’s service enters the picture. Nofollow links may seem pointless, however, iPage has a protected directory that prevents this nofollow links from being perceived as a disreputable link farm. So, in order to assess if you need to avail of this service or not, you need to check if you have a good balance of normal and nofollow links.
Other tips in boosting the website’s SE ranking
Besides directory listings, there are other ways to raising the popularity of your website. The key is to ensure the relevance of your website’s contents. This way, people will really need and want to view your website. Besides relevance, you need to ensure that your content is always updated. New stuff to read is what will keep your viewers coming back for more. Here are more tips in making your website more visible:
1. Use original material for your content. People will not be persuaded to go to your website if your material is just the same as those from other websites.
2. Think carefully about the keywords that you will use on your website. Make sure that you utilize relevant keywords particularly on the description and title that will constitute the links for your contents.
3. Avoid using too much scripts and flash banner.
4. Keep your website updated. Do not let weeks go without posting anything new.
5. Make use of social networking websites like Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook in order to promote your website. These sites enjoy high traffic and any mention about your website will certainly be viewed by thousands.