In making a website, you may need to look into using FTP. The File Transfer Protocol is a mode of moving your data or files from one machine to another. What FTP does is it allows two machines to communicate within a network. It is a way to transfer large chunks of files systematically, quickly, and more importantly, safely.
Different kinds of FTP
If you plan on partnering with a hosting provider, you will definitely need FTP. This is because you will need to access and download necessary files from the host’s server to your own website. Choosing the right type of FTP is essential. Here are the two kinds of FTP that you can choose from:
- Passive connection – This type of link sends a PASV command to the server. Once accepted, it will assess which port is ready and available and will communicate this to the machine. You will now then be able start any exchange with the said server.
- Active connection – This type of link sends information to the machine that you wish to communicate with before actually establishing the actual needed connection. The information may be the IP address or port numbers.
Choosing the right type and exactly which FTP is important. Here are just a few factors to keep in mind:
- Identify the requirements of the server and client. If you are not knowledgeable in this area, you can ask your web developer about the said requirements.
- Note that unattended file transfer between two servers will require SCP.
- Most transfers can be concluded using WebDAV or SFTP/SCP.
Using FTP with your iPage account
There are many choices out there when it comes to FTP clients. Some can be used for free while the others will require you to pay a small fee. The performance of most free FTP clients is at par with the paid kind. The latter only comes with more advanced features. Here is just a short list of popular FTP clients:
- FTP Voyager
- Cute FTP
- Coffee Cup
All of the mentioned FTP clients work with iPage. All you need to do is to check if the plan that you availed comes with one. iPage will have already configured it for you so that you can immediately start moving files. If, you do not have an FTP enabled plan, you will need to install and configure the FTP client in order for it to work on your iPage account. You will need to know and provide the following:
- The login name or user ID for your iPage account – When you sign up for an account with iPage, you get to choose your login name. You will also need it in order to configure your FTP client.
- iPage’s IP address
- Your password – Just like your login name, you will also need your iPage password.
Here are the steps in configuring the settings:
1. Go to the management page of your client.
2. Fill up the necessary connection information including your host name, address, type of hosting, user ID, and account password. You will also need to identify if the connection will be passive or active.
3. Click on the connect option. Different clients have different names for this option. For example, FileZilla has a tab called “Quickconnect”.
Once this is done, you may now start uploading files to your website from the computer’s directory. This typically involves launching the FTP client and dragging the folder or files from the source folder to the destination folder for your website. You are sure that the files will not be intercepted by malicious entities during the transfer. For more help, you can search for FTP tutorials online.