Have you experienced working feverishly on a document, and then losing it all when your computer failed? You are not alone. Losing files just because you forgot to save it is actually pretty common. We trust our machines too much. Thinking that with all the development in computer technology, the chances of it crashing are pretty slim. However, no matter how advanced our machines and devices, and the corresponding protection, get nowadays, the threats like viruses, spywares, and other malicious applications, always have a way of keeping up. So no matter how protected your computer seems, there is always a chance that it will crash. Crashing could result to permanent loss of files and other data stored in the machine. If you lost your cool when you lost your file, imagine how you would feel if you lose your entire website.
Having a backup is your only protection
No matter what software you use to protect your computer against external, or internal, attacks, there is always a chance that it can get infiltrated or infected. The only way to keep your files safe is to make copies of them and keep that in a secure place. However, this process can be tedious and time consuming. If you are considering manually backing up your files, here are just a few of the inconveniences that you might have to encounter:
1. It will take a long time in order to download all the files required for your website, particularly if the site is complex and has a lot of elements.
2. Even if you only made a few changes, or added a few files, you will need to make a copy of everything. This could at up bandwidth.
3. You will need to come up with your own logical way of storing and managing all the files.
4. You must remember to do the back up at regular time intervals.
In order to facilitate this process, you can use backup software that does the job automatically. There are many backup software packages to choose from. Here are just a few that programmers trust:
- AOMEI Backupper
- Redo Backup and Recovery
- Paragon backup & recovery
Steps to making a copy of your computer and website files
Backing up is a simple process. The first step is to assess which data in your computer needs to be copied. It could come in any form: documents, videos, images, emails, etc. Here are the next steps:
1. Fix the setting on the backup software to automatically create copies of the files that you chose.
2. Check if the backup process has been completed successfully.
3. If not, reconfigure the software and do the process again.
If you still find this tedious or difficult, you can always hire somebody to do it for you. If your hosting plan is with iPage, you can actually avail of their automated site backup services.
iPage’s backup services can save your website
What the company does is provide you with a periodically updated copy of all your website files. So, in the event that your computer fails and all of your files get deleted, you only need to download the files from iPage and your website gets automatically restored. You can even opt to have the company automatically restore the website by replacing any missing files from their copy. You get this added security for your website for only $12.95 for the initial term. For the succeeding terms, you will need to pay the regular $16.95 yearly rate. This is a reasonable price for making sure that you won’t have to recreate your website from scratch should your computer fail you.