What is an IP Address?
An IP Address or Internet Protocol Address is your computer ID that consists of four numbers ranging from 0 to 255 and is separated by periods, such as 188.8.131.52. This is to be your computer’s unique individual address which means that no other computer in the world that is connected to the internet that shares the same set of numbers like the one that your computer owns. It is generally used to identify the sender or the receiver of the information over the internet. The address can be owned by a single computer that is shared by a number of people, say a family, or a server with multiple domains or even a whole network of computers. It is like your house’s postal address that is used by the postman every time he delivers letters throughout the city, where no two houses share the same address and which makes it easier for the postman to locate you. Like a postal address, the IP address of your website is used by internet users to access your site by inputting the IP address in their browser.
IP Addresses are categorized into two, namely; the Dedicated Internet Protocol Address and the Shared Internet Protocol Address. These addresses are usually assigned by the hosting service provider to their customer.
What are the differences between a Shared IP Address and a Dedicated IP Address?
The difference between a Shared IP Address and a Dedicated IP Address are the following:
- Shared IP Address
– There is only one IP address that is used by a number of sites;
– It can host a number of sites within a web server;
– The action of one site owner can and may affect all the sites within the server; and
– Inability on one site to install a Server Sockets Layer certificate, otherwise known as SSL certificate.
– High security risk because of the difficulty of keeping security tabs on all the sites sharing the same address.
- Dedicated IP Address
– One site per IP Address, meaning no other site gets to share the address with you;
– The site can install an SSL certificate, which is a must if your site directly handles and processes online payments;
– Better security compared to shared IP address.
What are the advantages of having a Dedicated IP Address?
Having a Dedicated IP address for your site brings a lot of advantages, among them are:
- Your website can be directly accessed through your dedicated IP address, not just through your domain name. This comes especially handy when accessing the site through the domain name is impossible;
- The site can also be accessed through the File Transfer Protocol or FTP;
- It provides better security and protection to your site, when it comes to identity authentication and data encryption, as it allows you to install an SSL certificate; seeing the Green Padlock on the left side of the address gives visitors a sense of comfort and peace that they are using a secure site;
- Nobody else shares the address with you which translates to better security against attacks and against being affected by what other websites are doing.
Does iPage offer a Dedicated IP Address?
No, iPage does not offer Dedicated IP Addresses to their customers. It considers itself as a shared hosting company and only assigns Shared Internet Protocol address to their clients and gets to share the same server.
Why does iPage limit its offer to shared IP Address?
iPage considers its company as a shared hosting company which basically means that iPage clients get to share everything. They get to share the same IP address and resides in the same server. This also means that they also get to share the same amount of diskspace and bandwidth. Sharing everything is one of the reasons why iPage is able to offer low cost hosting solutions.
Practically, shared hosting poses a lot of security concerns. However, to ensure that websites are safe and secure, iPage offers iPage SiteLock Security for free to all its customers.