Why should I need colocation?
Among the major factors that plays a key role in the success or failure of a website is the cost of running your own data center. It is a fact that as your business grows, your demands and needs grows with it. The need to provide more servers to provide for the growing clientele means more space to grow into, more power requirements and well as a more efficient cooling systems plus the need for more bandwidth. This could mean a major overhaul or upgrading in your infrastructure. This often leads to the discussion whether the coming expenditures are worth the benefits that the growth brings or to the question which is more beneficial: upgrading and retrofitting your own data center or leasing a space from a data provider.
One of the solutions to this problem is colocation. Colocation is where a server owned by a website is placed in a facility that is owned by a service provider. This arrangement is beneficial for the company as it solves the problems on space, power, security, and internet connection requirements. Instead of renovating and retrofitting, all you need to do is to rent a space in a colocation facility where you can place your server and let the ISP provide your server with the power and bandwidth requirements, including the cooling and the security for your servers.
What are the benefits of colocation?
Placing the server in a colocation center brings a lot benefits. Among these benefits are the following:
- Cost reduction and Savings – The reduction, or better yet, the elimination of the need to build, renovate, expand , retrofit and manage your own data center as well as purchase server hardware could mean a lot of savings. Colocation is basically a cost-effective way of operating a top-of-line website.
- You get to enjoy top of the line facility with features of large IT departments without the need to shell out a large amount for investment.
- More stable power for your website as colocation facilities are provided with robust power per square foot ratio.
- You get to enjoy better performance, speed and connectivity, again due to its redundant facilities.
- Reliability and Redundancy – Your website is assured of maximum uptime as back-up systems are provided for each facility as power, bandwidth and air conditioning. This ensures maximum uptime even during power outages.
- Better Security and Data Protection – Colocation facilities are provided with a state-of-the-art security system to protect your equipment and data.
- More room for growth at a lesser cost since you only need to rent more space rather than buy the necessary hardware.
- You get to enjoy better flexibility and scalability to choose the right equipment and the right software to suit your growing and expanding and fluctuating needs.
- Better bandwidth – Colocation usually offers bandwidth on the amount used per month basis at a fixed cost
- Website owners has more control over the web server administration.
- A 24x7x365 Expert Service and Support – colocation sites are staffed and monitored 24×7, which means that you always have an expert staff to speak to when you need to raise a concern.
What major benefit can I get from colocation?
Considered as the major benefit of colocation is the cost saving and cost reduction coming from the overall operation of the company. Though you may need to spend a considerable amount during your start-up operation as you need to buy or upgrade your servers, you get to enjoy the benefits in the long run. The longer you operate your server in a colocation facility, the bigger will be your savings.
What companies are considered as among the top colocation providers?
The following companies are considered as belonging to the top colocation providers:
- Equinix (www.equinox.com)
- Hurrican Electric (www.he.net)
- Liquidweb (www.liquidweb.com)
- Peer1 (www.peer1.com)
- PhoenixNap (www.phoenixnap.com)
- Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
- Savvis (www.savvis.com)
- Singlehop (www.singlehop.com)
- Softlayer (www.softlayer.com)
- Verizon Terremark (www.verizonterremark.com)