Understanding Shared Hosting Plans
There are different types of web hosting plans. Among these are the VPS hosting, dedicated servers, reseller hosting and the shared hosting. This article focuses on shared hosting plans.
Shared hosting is usually the one recommended for new websites. Among the types of web hosting plans, this is the most economical way to start a website. Shared hosting assigns a client a designated space on the server. In shared hosting, your website is placed on a server along with other tens or hundreds of websites and you share the resources available. You share along with hundreds of other websites computer processor, maintenance, hosting bandwidth and memory. Sharing of resources is the reason why shared hosting plans offer cheaper prices because the cost of maintaining the server is spread out to many users.
Should I choose shared hosting plans?
The following may be some helpful criteria for you to consider if you will choose shared hosting plans:
- You will be starting a small website and are looking for the cheapest web hosting service in the market.
- You are expecting a minimal amount of visitors per day, probably 400 a day.
- You will be setting up a limited number of email accounts.
- You can tolerate sharing resources with other users on the server
- You want to live as soon as possible and you do not know how to set up your own server.
Benefits of Shared Hosting Plans
Subscribing to a shared hosting provider has its advantages. Listed below are the benefits derived when using Shared Hosting:
- Lighter price or cost-effective price – Pricing is the common deciding factor for buyers which makes this perhaps the greatest advantage that buyers will have in choosing shared hosting plans.
- Speedy set-up – Shared hosting plans can be set-up immediately and you can go live within 24 hours of buying the services.
- Efficient for small websites
- No need to perform technical maintenance – A user-friendly web based Control Panel is provided by all shared hosting companies. This way the client can easily upload his website, create a database and email accounts. In shared hosting, someone else is taking care of server maintenance that is why this is the choice of smaller websites.
- You can ask for extra space.
- You can install all kinds of software.
Drawbacks of Shared Hosting Plans
The following are the disadvantages of shared hosting plans:
- Limited resources – There is a sharing of a common server in shared hosting plans. This means that clients are sharing resources on a server. Consequently, every client has some restrictions on his service.
- Stability problems – Your website performance is affected by the other websites since you are using a common server
- Greater security risk issues – There is a greater probability that you are exposed to security risks since there are a number of websites on the same server. Sharing a common server with a website that has been hacked also poses a threat on your online website.
- Not suitable for a large scale business
- Configuration of firewall settings for certain applications
- Limits you on the operating system you can run on the server
Features of competitive Shared Hosting Plans
In the emergent of shared hosting, different providers have continuously upgraded their services and incorporated a lot of features to their servers. They have efficiently added features that will give a positive note on the drawbacks of shared hosting plans. Below are some of the features that shared hosting servers offer:
- Unlimited disk space and bandwidth
- Flexible and easy to use control panel
- Unlimited sub domains, email accounts and FTP accounts
- Free search engine submission
- Free marketing package
- 24/7 monitoring
- Unlimited gigs of site transfer