Clients who are owners of shared hosting accounts often do not have the time or the necessary manpower to keep their website up and running 24/7 can choose to have their shared hosting account managed by the providers themselves. This account is called the Managed Shared Account. This type of account has all the features offered in regular shared hosting accounts plus the extra service delivered by the hosting provider which is focused on your website management. This is ideal and well suited for clients who owns and uses shared hosting accounts but needs the services well beyond the regular level of support and management services offered by regular shared hosting services.
What is included in a managed shared hosting service?
Aside from the advantages that you get to enjoy with the regular support features that are found in a shared hosting service, the following services are included in the package:
- Site monitoring that is page specific;
- Installation, upgrading and updating of many open-source web applications, such as Drupal and WordPress;
- Troubleshooting of Rails applications;
- Professional assistance in the operation of web editing software;
- Changes in the control panel are handled by the service provider;
- Assistance with e-mails setup, such as Outlook and Thunderbird;
- Expert advice on website workflow management;
- 24/7 exclusive live support;
- Upgrade of applications and scripts;
- Exploit protection for WordPress and Joomla;
- Backup insurance; and
- Most importantly,
- Over-all management that keeps your website up and running at optimum condition with maximum uptime.
What is not covered in the managed shared hosting service?
As the managed shared hosting service is more of a shared hosting service than a managed dedicated hosting service, there are some administrative tasks and support services that are not included in the package. The following are not among those covered in a managed shared hosting service:
- Website redesigns;
- Flash, a basic animation tool and a standard plug-in of web browsers;
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing, search engine submission;
- Shopping cart management;
- Product management, as well as Plug-in management and customized configurations of your cart;
- Component troubleshooting and fixing;
- Troubleshooting and fixing of 3rd party plug-ins and modules
- Troubleshooting and fixing of plug-in, components and modules that are outdated and are not compatible with present versions of WordPress, Joomla and other scripts;
- MySQL to MSSQL Database conversion or MSSQL to MySQL Database Conversion;
- Site Transfers; and
- Customized graphics and editing;
What other important details is there to know about Managed Shared Hosting?
To get started with Managed Shared Hosting, all you need to do is to sign-up and indicate that you would like to add managed shared services and the provider will guide you through the process and you’ll have managed shared service in no time. Since managed shared hosting offers more services compared to regular shared hosting services, it naturally costs you more compared to Managed Shared Hosting service. Most MSH accounts costs $40 per month more as an added charge to your regular shared hosting account. However, most hosting providers are flexible enough to allow you to decide on a month-to-month basis, whether you want to keep the service or to remove it. What you need to do is to inform the service provider and they will automatically remove the service.
However, your account is subject to the two hours per shared hosting account admin time limitation. While it is not so often that the client exceeds the 2-hour monthly limit, any time used in excess of the limit is billed at a rate of $60 per hour.