What is a Managed Backup Service?
A Managed Backup Service (MBS) is an internet service that provides clients with a system that is designed for data backup, storage and allows them to recover files online should the need arise. This system is usually programmed to run on a regular schedule, typically once in every 24 hours, during the time when computers are not being used or are experiencing the least traffic. It typically collects, encrypts, compresses and transfers the data to a backup service providers’ off-site hardware.
Technically, the MBS is simply a high-tech alternative and replacement of the traditional method of data backup and recovery by replacing the conventional tape-based system with an online service. This is especially beneficial for small and medium-sized companies that do not have the necessary manpower and capability to maintain in-house backup practices.
Why should I need managed backup service?
Keeping backups on all vital information is a very good practice but one which is often relegated among the least of the priorities in businesses because of the issues on storage and the IT personnel necessary to perform the task. The traditional way of data backup with the use of tapes is fast becoming obsolete since tapes are susceptible to temperature, humidity, electromagnetic fields or by incorrect storage. Aside from these factors, storing data backups in one location makes it susceptible to the forces of nature such as floods, hurricanes and fires. Other stored backups are not correctly indexed making restoration difficult, if not impossible.
By providing a managed backup service to your company, you are assured that vital company files and data are backed-up by trained professionals and are stored in a safe location that is offsite, protecting your data even during calamities and disasters.
What does a Managed Backup Service offer for my back-up needs?
- Your data is backed-up and transferred off-site regularly and automatically ensuring that backed-up data is up-to-date and safe which guarantees availability and security;
- You will have the ability to encrypt all data before its transmission to the offsite storage;
- You will be provided with an easy to use, user-friendly interface that simplifies the storage and back-up process including the full disclosure of the details of the back-up schedules;
- You will have full control and discretion to specify what particular data you want to be backed-up, making sure that your investment is not wasted by backing-up unnecessary files;
- You can immediately restore files online as user-definable back-up version of the files are retained on disk;
- The vault where the data is stored, including all the networking equipment are closely and regularly monitored ensuring data safety and security;
- There is no need to search for the back-up tapes when you need to retrieve and restore data as data can be selected and restored online;
- You don’t need to spend money for the hardware, software and personnel services for your backup tasks since it is being taken-cared of by reliable personnel online.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Managed Backup Service?
The following are the known advantages and disadvantages of managed backup service:
- You don’t need to personally and physically handle the backup procedures of your company which means that you don’t need to hire or assign staff to do the job. This removes the human error factor in data damage as well as the ability to assign your staff to the core priorities of your company;
- There is no need to remember where the particular data backup was stored or the need to spend for the man-hours needed to index the tapes; and
- The backups are kept safe and secure against the occurrence of regional natural calamities and disasters for they are stored offsite;
Although managed backup service has its advantages, it is not without any disadvantage. The following are its known disadvantages:
- Backups stored online are slower to restore; and
- Managed backups are generally more expensive than the traditional, physical backup.