Throughout the years, web hosting has been considered as a way to earn money fast, but in reality, it is not that simple as what most believe. Take note that you actually need a certain level of technical knowledge on computers and software as well as determination and patience. On the other hand, this will not stop you from starting your own web hosting company but before you will start with this endeavor, there are certain things that you need to know about this type of business and decide whether it is right for you.
What to consider before starting a web hosting company
Stating your own hosting company is not a simple task. There are several considerations that you have to bear in mind before you will decide to start one.
- Initially, this business will involve the use of control panels. Even though these control panels will make most of the tasks simpler, you should possess the skill and knowledge to actually troubleshoot.
- In terms of the money, it is not that quick as what many believe. In the first place, it is already a saturated market and you must offer something that will provide you with an income. It simply means that you should provide superior customer service since this will either make or break your business.
- The budget that you will spend for the server is also important. A server with 80GB hard disk space might cost $100 a month. Depending on your needs, always make sure that you can provide superior service in order to attract clients.
- You will have to work over 8 hours in a day. If you have a partner, it is great but if not, you will spend more than 12 hours working.
The considerations stated are essential before starting your own hosting business. With these considerations, you should come up with a business plan before deciding if this business is right for you.
The specifics in a web hosting company
If you decided to start your own hosting company, there are certain aspects that you need to keep track whether you are creating your own infrastructure or utilizing a hosting service.
- The prices should be affordable yet have a competitive edge.
- The Terms of Service (TOS) must be fair for both you and the client. You can check reasonable terms at web hosting forums and threads at the time you plan to start your hosting company.
- As for the billing, request for payment of services in advance.
Building your very own infrastructure for your hosting company
Establishing your own infrastructure for your hosting company has certain advantages. The obvious advantage is that if you built it, you have full control over it. You have the freedom to select the operating systems, hardware, database and the tools. Without a web hosting service, it simply means that you are not required to learn their web hosting processes and not obliged to pay additional fees for the storage space and bandwidth.
Using a web hosting service provider
In case you have mediocre technical knowledge yet eager to open you own hosting company, it is best to use a web hosting service. The best part with this option is you will enjoy fast Internet connection and the startup cost is reasonable. There is even technical support offered without any charge and you simply buy the services that you need while later on adding more as your company grows. The drawback is that you are limited to the type of software and hardware options that your hosting provider offers while the monthly charges tends to change from time to time.